Harkness supply top quality bare root roses
Our Bare Root Roses are field grown, in the traditional way that rose plants have been grown for generations. All our rose plants are individually grafted onto a root stock, and have 20 months growing time in the field from planting to lifting from the field.
Bare Root Roses have been supplied for generations to gardeners, councils and other customers. The term Bare Root refers to the roots of the plant, which are 'Bare' (having no soil). This is the way most of the plants that we have sold over the last 135 years have been supplied. It is a tried, tested and successful way of moving plants from the nursery to the garden.
Care of Bare Root Plants - it is easy!
When Bare Root Rose plants are delivered to you they are very easy to care for. The important things to remember are:
If you are not ready to plant when they arrive
The plants will be perfectly happy in the packaging, unopened, for up to seven days so long as you keep the plants in a cool place - this is the dormant season for the plants, they expect to be outside for all the cold Winter weather, so they should be kept cool to cold, out of the sun and away from any heat source.
Do not let the plants dry out. Keep the bag sealed up, that will prevent air circulation and keep the plants moist.
When you are ready to plant your Bare Root Roses
Follow the instructions that are on the bag and in the Enjoy Your Roses booklet included in the parcel or on this web site.
How To Order
Order at Any Time
• Website: www.roses.co.uk using the secure ordering facility
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Post: Harkness Roses, The Rose Garden, Cambridge Road, Hitchin, Herts SG4 0JT.
Order during Office Hours (09.00 to 17.00 Monday to Friday)
• Telephone: 01462 420402
• Telephone: 0044 1462 420402 for international calls
Despatch Information for Bare Root Roses
Delivery is available to U.K. Mainland, Islands, E.U. and other destinations (Standard Roses can only be delivered to U.K. Mainland)
• For any quantity of Bare Root Rose plants: £5.95 to U.K. Mainland.
• For other destinations please click here
• Post-code and telephone number of the billing and receiving address if different.
• Instructions for leaving packages in case no-one will be present to take delivery. Otherwise, the driver will leave a card notifying attempted delivery.
• Choosing a Delivery Date
For small parcels of Bare Root Roses we use Royal Mail for delivey, larger consignments are sent using an ovenight courier service. Due to transit times varying we can not always guarantee delivery dates, but we always try to meet our customers requests.
• Delivery Days by courier are Tuesdays to Fridays inclusive.
We despatch on Mondays to Thursdays for our courier to deliver on Tuesdays to Fridays. For outlying areas of U.K. Mainland we despatch Monday to Wednesday as they often take 48 hours to deliver.
This despatch pattern is to give the plants the minimum time in transit. While they are growing living plants it is unpleasant for them to spend excessive time in a warehouse, shut away from light in a dark box. Our intention is to avoid the plants spending a weekend in a warehouse or roasting in the back of a couriers lorry on a sunny Summer Sunday.
Prices, Discounts and Offers
• Credit and Debit card payments are debited at the time orders are placed. On our web site you can choose to use Sage Pay or PayPal, both of which offer security to you
At times we will make special offers which are only available within the terms and conditions of the offer that we make. All offers are made subject to stock availability
• Prices for bare root roses are shown throughout this website, each variety has a web page as a Bare Root Rose.
• All roses are available as Bare Root, subject to being in stock at the time of ordering. As the season progresses certain roses will become sold out. A phone call is all it takes to check availability. We can make delivery of Bare Root Roses outside the UK mainland, please contact us for additional information.
• 'Enjoy Your Roses': an 8 page booklet of Planting & Care advice is enclosed in your delivery.